It was a Monday night, and I was completely drained. My tie was loosely hanging from my neck, and my shirt was also hanging out. It was 11 when I reached home, and all I wanted to do was to cook. Yes! cooking is my only get away from this madness.
Imagine stirring those colorful veggies in the pan, and that aroma arising from it. Aroma, full of spices. Ah! In that moment I am rejuvenated. That is what cooking does to me. Pulao it is. You can prepare it in 20 minutes with my recipe.
Pulao, also known as Pulaao, is a staple dish in India, parts of Central Asia and the Middle East. The dish uses different ingredients depending on the country it is being prepared in. Today, we are going to learn the Indian style Pulao. The dish is perfect for vegans , but the versatility of the dish, makes it perfect for meat lovers as well.
- Basmati Rice: 1/2 cup
- Chopped Onion, Tomato, Carrot, Beans, Green Peas: 2 cups
- Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder: 1 spoon each
- Finely chopped coriander: 1/2 cup
- Oil: 2 tablespoon
- Ghee: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Soak Rice in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and saute the onions on the low flame until they turn uniform brown.
- Add vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour water, rice, and add all the spices and salt and stir for 2 minutes.
- Cover the lid and cook for 10 minutes. Wait till the water is absorbed and cook in low flame.
Serve the pulao garnished with the coriander leaves or fried onions and cashews. It can also be served with tomato raita or just plain yogurt. You can also add ghee, if you do not mind extra taste over some calories.
This is one of my favorite dishes, and I hope you like it too.
Like, share and comment below, and let me know about your first pulao experience with my recipe.